Kwek-kwek or dragon ball is one of the most popular Filipino street foods. They are bright orange battered and deep-fried hard boiled eggs that are served with a vinegar dipping sauce.
12 hard boiled chicken eggs or 2 dozens quail eggs
1- 1/2 cups + 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1- 1/3 cups water
Few drops of red and yellow food color
Salt + pepper
Cooking oil for deep frying
1. Boil eggs for 15 minutes. Peel off shell and set aside.
2. Whisk together 1- 1/2 cups flour, cornstarch, water, food color and salt + pepper to taste. Batter should be smooth and thick.
3. Dredge the eggs with flour using the remaining 1/2 cup.
4. Drop eggs to the thick batter and coat them using 2 spoons.
5. Carefully drop coated eggs one by one into a pre heated pan with cooking oil to deep fry. Do not overcrowd. Make sure there’s room to roll eggs into the oil to maintain it’s form.
6. Cook until coating is crisp. Let excess oil drip using a colander or paper towel.
Combine apple cider vinegar or any vinegar of choice + salt, pepper, sugar & chillies.